The Trans Characters That Changed TV and Film
BY Matt Kane of GLAAD
November 19 2012 1:30 PM ET
Tales of the City (1993)
Certainly one of popular culture’s most beloved transgender characters, the enigmatic landlady Mrs. Madrigal is in many ways the heart of author Armistead Maupin’s San Francisco-based book series, Tales of the City. Years after it was first published, Tales was adapted into several miniseries and movies on PBS and Showtime that featured Olympia Dukakis as the matriarch Madrigal.
- 5 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room
- #TBT: The Massive, Masculine Art of Robert Riggs