The Trans Characters That Changed TV and Film
BY Matt Kane of GLAAD
November 19 2012 1:30 PM ET
Tales of the City (1993)
Certainly one of popular culture’s most beloved transgender characters, the enigmatic landlady Mrs. Madrigal is in many ways the heart of author Armistead Maupin’s San Francisco-based book series, Tales of the City. Years after it was first published, Tales was adapted into several miniseries and movies on PBS and Showtime that featured Olympia Dukakis as the matriarch Madrigal.
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr
- WATCH: The Weirdest Antigay Marriage Arguments Before the Supreme Court
- POLL: Nationwide Marriage Equality Inevitable — and Welcome
- Prominent Queer Korean, Chicana Leader Killed in Her Atlanta Home