20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
Irresistible Revolution: Confronting Race, Class and the Assumptions of LGBT Politics by Urvashi Vaid (Magnus Books, $21.95)
One of the most influential social justice activists in the U.S., Vaid — who lives in New York with her partner, humorist Kate Clinton, and is battling cancer right now — has one of today's brightest lesbian minds. Her treatise looks at the strategic pitfalls of LGBT politics, leaders, and organizations that rely on a narrow framework of equality. As more people focus on quick successes, Vaid also argues for seeing beyond the short term for long-term gains.
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- Speak Now: Prop. 8 Decision Will Pave Way for National Marriage Victory
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet