20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
Irresistible Revolution: Confronting Race, Class and the Assumptions of LGBT Politics by Urvashi Vaid (Magnus Books, $21.95)
One of the most influential social justice activists in the U.S., Vaid — who lives in New York with her partner, humorist Kate Clinton, and is battling cancer right now — has one of today's brightest lesbian minds. Her treatise looks at the strategic pitfalls of LGBT politics, leaders, and organizations that rely on a narrow framework of equality. As more people focus on quick successes, Vaid also argues for seeing beyond the short term for long-term gains.
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'