20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
Irresistible Revolution: Confronting Race, Class and the Assumptions of LGBT Politics by Urvashi Vaid (Magnus Books, $21.95)
One of the most influential social justice activists in the U.S., Vaid — who lives in New York with her partner, humorist Kate Clinton, and is battling cancer right now — has one of today's brightest lesbian minds. Her treatise looks at the strategic pitfalls of LGBT politics, leaders, and organizations that rely on a narrow framework of equality. As more people focus on quick successes, Vaid also argues for seeing beyond the short term for long-term gains.
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- The Hidden Message in Supreme Court's Recent Marriage Rulings
- #27BiStories: When Did You Come Out? What Was the Response Like?