BY Bryan Ochalla
August 26 2009 1:00 PM ET
What prompted this push for pixelated pride? Edison’s suggestion: “The industry wants to be taken more seriously.”
Jeb Havens, an associate game designer at EA/Maxis's Spore and one of the few openly gay designers in the industry, offers up a different opinion.
Video game designers and developers, he says, are “moving away from the stereotype of the angry, homophobic teen boy ... toward a broader picture of who is buying and playing games.”
As a result, he adds, “we’re starting to see a willingness to experiment with stories and characters that would appeal to more diverse audiences,” such as female, LGBT, and older gamers.
Adds Brathwaite: “It took them a while, but developers eventually got hip to the fact that there are women out there who want to control female characters [in video games], and now they’re getting hip to the fact that there are LGBT gamers out there who want to control LGBT characters.”
Another factor influencing the gay-friendliness of today’s games, according to Brathwaite, is that “the almighty dollar talks as much in this industry as it does in any other, and we all know the gay market is nothing to sneeze at in that regard.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 2 hours 8 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM