Holidays—It Should Be So Nice
BY Advocate Contributors
October 13 2010 4:00 AM ET
Gifts suitable for anyone
I like to give either homemade cookies—which are pretty kick-ass, if I say so myself—or paperwhite bulbs, artfully wrapped. If that isn’t cutting it, I either bump it up with a donation to Heifer.org, the charity that gives agricultural and livestock gifts in the developing world, or the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture or the Southern Poverty Law Center. I’ve been incredibly lax in the past few years, charitable giving–wise, so I think, given the terrifying, repellent, hateful, racist Islamophobia afoot, I should probably give to the SPLC, as it deals with combating hate crimes.
David Rakoff, author of Half Empty
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- BREAKING: North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Takes on Rand Paul