Holidays—It Should Be So Nice
BY Advocate Contributors
October 13 2010 4:00 AM ET
Gifts suitable for anyone
I like to give either homemade cookies—which are pretty kick-ass, if I say so myself—or paperwhite bulbs, artfully wrapped. If that isn’t cutting it, I either bump it up with a donation to Heifer.org, the charity that gives agricultural and livestock gifts in the developing world, or the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture or the Southern Poverty Law Center. I’ve been incredibly lax in the past few years, charitable giving–wise, so I think, given the terrifying, repellent, hateful, racist Islamophobia afoot, I should probably give to the SPLC, as it deals with combating hate crimes.
David Rakoff, author of Half Empty
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'