Holidays—It Should Be So Nice
BY Advocate Contributors
October 13 2010 3:00 AM ET
Gifts suitable for anyone
I like to give either homemade cookies—which are pretty kick-ass, if I say so myself—or paperwhite bulbs, artfully wrapped. If that isn’t cutting it, I either bump it up with a donation to Heifer.org, the charity that gives agricultural and livestock gifts in the developing world, or the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture or the Southern Poverty Law Center. I’ve been incredibly lax in the past few years, charitable giving–wise, so I think, given the terrifying, repellent, hateful, racist Islamophobia afoot, I should probably give to the SPLC, as it deals with combating hate crimes.
David Rakoff, author of Half Empty
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 1 hour 32 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 1 hour 41 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 2 hours 23 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC 3:49 PM