Holidays—It Should Be So Nice
BY Advocate Contributors
October 13 2010 4:00 AM ET
Gifts suitable for anyone
I like to give either homemade cookies—which are pretty kick-ass, if I say so myself—or paperwhite bulbs, artfully wrapped. If that isn’t cutting it, I either bump it up with a donation to Heifer.org, the charity that gives agricultural and livestock gifts in the developing world, or the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture or the Southern Poverty Law Center. I’ve been incredibly lax in the past few years, charitable giving–wise, so I think, given the terrifying, repellent, hateful, racist Islamophobia afoot, I should probably give to the SPLC, as it deals with combating hate crimes.
David Rakoff, author of Half Empty
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- The World Is Finally Ready For the Lost Recordings of '70s Gay Rockers Smokey