Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 1:56 AM ET
Jose Lugaro • 35
New York City
Development Director, NY LGBT Center
While nearing graduation at Penn State University, Jose Lugaro discovered the business side of nonprofits, which he says changed the course of his life. Since then, he’s worked as a fund-raiser for LGBT organizations—on staff and as a volunteer—helping to raise millions for causes he believes in.
As deputy director of development at Chicago’s Center on Halsted he secured a $1 million donation, its largest gift ever from an individual, and now, as the director of development for New York’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center, he oversees all fund-raising that supports the center’s $7.5 million annual budget. Among the rewards is witnessing firsthand the impact of his efforts.
“I see it in the eyes of the people who walk through our doors. Each and every one of them is at different stage in their journey and they have one thing in common. The center is there for them, whatever their need.”
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- BREAKING: How About a President Santorum?