Forty Under 40
BY Advocate Contributors
April 24 2012 1:56 AM ET
Jazz • 11
Cofounder, TransKids Purple Rainbow Foundation
If Jazz looks familiar, that’s because in addition to starring in her own documentary, I Am Jazz: A Family in Transition, which debuted on OWN last year, she has also discussed being transgender on CNN, 20/20, and Good Morning America.
A preteen who likes to sing and dance, Jazz (whose parents keep their last name and exact location private for safety reasons) uses her newfound fame to help other gender-variant kids. With her parents’ help she’s launched the TransKids Purple Rainbow Foundation, a nonprofit that supports trans kids and their families, even offering grants for medical needs not covered by insurance.
“I want to help other transgender people be true to themselves,” says Jazz, who is the youngest person ever to be honored in our Forty Under 40. “A lot of transgender kids don’t have the support of a family like I do, and I just wanted to share that it’s OK to step out of their shadows and tell their parents how they really feel inside. You can still be loved if you are transgender.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 15 min 46 sec ago
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1 hour 17 min ago
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 1 hour 39 min ago
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 1 hour 46 min ago
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM