Katy Perry: Gurl Crush
BY Brandon Voss
August 12 2010 4:00 AM ET
Nothing was necessarily calculated. I think he just heard my music and related to it. But I am happy there aren’t little white dots coming out of my nose on his site and that he’s not showing pictures of my cellulite, because every girl has it.
Does Russell get along with your gay friends?
Of course! He’s lovely to all human beings. There are a couple guys he will single out and mention — he loves my stylist, Johnny Wujek; my manager, Bradford; and William, who I call my big brother, in New York. Russell’s a good guy. He believes in the same things I believe.
When I first heard you and Russell were dating, I immediately thought, Man, that’s a sex tape just waiting to leak.
No, he’s actually very protective, in a way. We’re both pretty smart at living open lives but keeping the important parts private. We’re both very open people separately, and we don’t want our relationship to change that, so we give enough away and still feel like we have just us together.
After you tweeted, “Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke,” people assumed it was a pointed response to Lady Gaga’s “Alejandro” video. You’ve since clarified that it wasn’t specifically directed toward Gaga. So to whom was that tweet directed?
Anyone. Whether it’s Madonna hanging on a cross or Russell using the Lord’s name in vain, it makes me feel… I guess I’m just sensitive to it. But the media loves to create these catfights with women — it’s almost a fetish. Sometimes you see it with bands like Blur and Oasis, but rarely you see it between anyone but girls because guys get off on the whole idea. I’m a huge fan of Lady Gaga, and hundreds of my tweets have been dedicated to her brilliance.
Have you had any direct communication with Gaga since the controversy?
She’s doing her thing and I’m doing my thing.
Twitter accounts are constantly getting celebrities in trouble. To prevent that drama and speculation, do you wish you could just take back the tweet?
I don’t feel like I get in trouble. People like me for who I am, the honesty that I bring, and the fact that I don’t censor what I do or say. Sometimes you get a big fat anvil by talking without a sifter, but sometimes it feels good to create a wave. I’ve never regretted anything I’ve said or done because it’s all a learning experience.
You’re voicing Smurfette in next summer’s The Smurfs. Is she the dirty blue slut I suspected?
Well, I think so, which is probably why my parents wouldn’t let me watch the cartoon. And now I am her. It’s funny how my world works.
What’s the best perk of being the only girl in a village?
You definitely won’t be caught wearing somebody else’s outfit.
That’s not the first perk that came to my mind.
[Laughs] Yeah, but it’s a good one too.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM