Andrew Garfield: 'Of Course I’m in Favor of Marriage Equality'
BY Jase Peeples
April 16 2013 5:24 PM ET
Amazing Spider-Man actor Andrew Garfield not only plays the part of superhero with heart of gold on the big screen, he has one in real life as well.
In a recent interview with The Times of London, the 29-year-old not only expressed his support for marriage equality, but also questioned how anyone could be against it.
“Of course I’m in favor of marriage equality. Same-sex couples should have the same rights as anybody else,” Garfield said. “There is no argument against equality. How can anyone argue against compassion and understanding?” Garfield made the comments during an interview about the London revival of the gay-themed play Beautiful Thing; he starred in a 2006 production.
As the actor currently playing one of Marvel Comics’ most iconic superheroes, Garfield is viewed by many young people around the world as a role model and icon in his own right.
His comments supporting marriage equality undoubtedly serve as both a beacon of hope to LGBT youth and, like Spider-Man, set a standard by which we should all treat one another.
Clearly Andrew Garfield is a super friend to LGBT people.
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Top Filipino Singer-Actor Comes Out as a Transgender Man
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- Even Former NOM Executives Believe Marriage Equality Is Imminent