5 Reasons to Revisit Smash
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 05 2013 8:00 AM ET
4. Plot Ch-Ch-Changes
Even lovers of the show knew that all was not well in the world of Smash. The backstage gossip and drama featured in the series was no match for reality when NBC decided to fire creator Theresa Rebeck and retool with Josh Safran, the former Gossip Girl showrunner. Debra Messing’s character, Julia, had her endless collection of scarves, and her family subplots (adoption! adultery!) were just as boring. Her husband's storyline is quickly wrapped up in the season premiere, while other hate-watcher favorites like Ellis, the backstabbing assistant, and Dev, Katharine McPhee’s boyfriend, have both exited stage left, and hopefully only return for a limited engagement.
- Bruce Jenner Ends Speculation, Comes Out as Transgender Woman
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times