5 Reasons to Revisit Smash
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 05 2013 8:00 AM ET
4. Plot Ch-Ch-Changes
Even lovers of the show knew that all was not well in the world of Smash. The backstage gossip and drama featured in the series was no match for reality when NBC decided to fire creator Theresa Rebeck and retool with Josh Safran, the former Gossip Girl showrunner. Debra Messing’s character, Julia, had her endless collection of scarves, and her family subplots (adoption! adultery!) were just as boring. Her husband's storyline is quickly wrapped up in the season premiere, while other hate-watcher favorites like Ellis, the backstabbing assistant, and Dev, Katharine McPhee’s boyfriend, have both exited stage left, and hopefully only return for a limited engagement.
- Op-ed: The Fine Line Between Gay Pride and Alcoholism
- WATCH: Fox News Discovers Viewers Not as Transphobic as Hosts
- Op-ed: Christian Schools Like Gordon College Don't Need a License to Discriminate
- Department of Education Offers Antitrans University a 'Religious Exemption'
- Laverne Cox: The Making of an Icon
- Op-ed: Orange Is the New Black Proves to Be the Model of Queer TV