BY Lesley Goldberg
January 27 2010 2:15 PM ET
What do you have planned after All About Me?
I owe a commission play to the McCarter Theatre in Princeton [N.J.], and that’s the same theater that had commissioned me for my play Miss Witherspoon a few years ago. So they’ve been very patient about the fact that they would have liked a play from me last year but I just wasn’t able to do it because of other commitments. So I will refocus on that once All About Me is up and running.
Do you have any subject ideas for that play?
I’m a little torn. I have another political play — kind of like Why Torture Is Wrong. There’s a part of me that wonders if I’m mining the same material too soon. It’s also about red state/blue state, but it’s not so much about terrorism. I’ve only done a third of it. Then I have another play that I’ve started that’s not political, it’s a little bit of a — I don’t know, if I say Chekhov parody, that makes it sound too light — but it’s a Chekhov parody set in Pennsylvania. I was thinking of having a reading of what I have of both of them and then discussing what their thoughts are on what I should pursue.
You’ve been with your partner for more than 20 years. What do you think about the current fight for marriage equality?
I’m hopeful that it goes through at some point. I can’t tell how difficult it’s going to be or not. I was very frustrated by the Supreme Court deciding that it couldn’t be on the airwaves. I was also somebody who a few years ago was not that drawn to gay marriage. I think I’m one of those people who looked at heterosexual marriage and went, Oh, it binds you to one another and causes you all these troubles. So I wasn’t that big of a fan of marriage. But I’ve been won over as I’ve listened to people who really want to be married.
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 1 hour 54 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM