BY Lesley Goldberg
January 27 2010 3:15 PM ET
What do you have planned after All About Me?
I owe a commission play to the McCarter Theatre in Princeton [N.J.], and that’s the same theater that had commissioned me for my play Miss Witherspoon a few years ago. So they’ve been very patient about the fact that they would have liked a play from me last year but I just wasn’t able to do it because of other commitments. So I will refocus on that once All About Me is up and running.
Do you have any subject ideas for that play?
I’m a little torn. I have another political play — kind of like Why Torture Is Wrong. There’s a part of me that wonders if I’m mining the same material too soon. It’s also about red state/blue state, but it’s not so much about terrorism. I’ve only done a third of it. Then I have another play that I’ve started that’s not political, it’s a little bit of a — I don’t know, if I say Chekhov parody, that makes it sound too light — but it’s a Chekhov parody set in Pennsylvania. I was thinking of having a reading of what I have of both of them and then discussing what their thoughts are on what I should pursue.
You’ve been with your partner for more than 20 years. What do you think about the current fight for marriage equality?
I’m hopeful that it goes through at some point. I can’t tell how difficult it’s going to be or not. I was very frustrated by the Supreme Court deciding that it couldn’t be on the airwaves. I was also somebody who a few years ago was not that drawn to gay marriage. I think I’m one of those people who looked at heterosexual marriage and went, Oh, it binds you to one another and causes you all these troubles. So I wasn’t that big of a fan of marriage. But I’ve been won over as I’ve listened to people who really want to be married.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM