BY Advocate Contributors
January 14 2012 7:24 PM ET
Do you think O(h) holds appeal for a wide audience?
Absolutely. The piece is very accessible. Even jaded dancegoers, people who have seen a lot of dance and have decided that they just don’t get it, will have something concrete to grasp onto.
How does O(h) differs from other multi-layered dance performances?
Unlike most other performances out there, we risk being accused of pointing fingers unnecessarily at the dance community. I don’t think that many choreographers implicate themselves, like we do, about what is problematic in our field.
What is problematic in the modern dance community exactly?
Too many dance artists think that their work is going to save the world. With that type of attitude, the final product usually dissolves into arrogance and public masturbation. That’s not to say work can’t be self-indulgent.
You formed casebolt and smith with Liz Casebolt in 2006. What made you decide to open a dance company in Los Angeles, a city where few institutions will produce local artists?
I wanted to have creative control over my work in a city that I love. When I was in college, I lived in New York City for a summer and thought, well, maybe I could move there. But it was a sort of love/hate relationship every day. I felt that if I was really going to dance professionally, I’d rather be close to my family.
Did you grow up in Los Angeles?
No. I’m from a small conservative town called Yucaipa, which sits about 70 miles east of LA.
What led you into dance?
One day many years ago, as an undergraduate at UC Davis, I followed a hot guy into a dance class.
Stalking a hot undergraduate led you into dance?
Yes. I had been following him around campus for several weeks before I found out that he was going to take the class. Soon after I enrolled, we started dating. He was my first boyfriend and if anything else, my first introduction to the world of dance.
There is a time to love and there is a time to dance.
For more information visit caseboltandsmith.com
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 11 min 55 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 47 min 40 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 54 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 2 hours 1 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM