Suspect in Custody in D.C. Trans Stabbing
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 24 2013 3:52 PM ET
Police in Washington, D.C. confirmed today that they have in custody someone who is believed to be responsible for stabbing a transgender woman as many as 40 times in the early hours of Friday morning, reports the Washington Blade.
Bree Wallace, a 29-year-old transgender woman, was stabbed repeatedly by an assailant she knew casually around 1 a.m. Friday in southeastern D.C., according to police reports reviewed by The Blade. After running several blocks back to her apartment building, Wallace reportedly collapsed on the street. Neighbors who saw her immediately called 911.
On Monday, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier confirmed to the Blade that the suspect was in police custody after being arrested on charges unrelated to the alleged assault. A police spokesperson told the Blade on Sunday that the assailant assaulted Wallace with the intent to kill, but noted that the attack was neither random nor a hate crime.
Wallace is recovering from multiple stab wounds to her back and chest at Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, Md., according to the Blade.
Read more here.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 41 min 48 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 51 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM