BY Michelle Garcia
November 25 2009 2:00 PM ET
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee says he's not necessarily against gay marriage, but he's really a supporter of traditional marriage.
In an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric on Tuesday, Huckabee said the basis of marriage is procreation; children ideally need a man and woman as parents he said.
He added that changing the boundaries of marriage would be restricted before they become too loose.
“Can we change it to multiple spouses?” he asked. “If not, why not? You know, I hear people say, 'Well, what would be wrong?' What would be wrong, then, with a man having two or three or six or seven wives? Or a woman having six or seven husbands all at the same time?”
Couric quoted gay Arkansas state senator Kathy Webb, who has said the former governor doesn't seem to have a lot of tolerance and goodwill toward gay people.
"I am very disappointed to hear that. I don't think it's a matter of tolerance and goodwill. It's a matter of changing marriage. I can argue that people who want to change marriage are angry at me because I want to keep it like it is. I don't think it has to be a personal point of anger."
Huckabee, a former Baptist minister, openly supports a constitutional amendment to define marriage as a partnership for only for one male and one female. He also supports the military's current ban on openly gay and lesbian service members.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- Hot Sheet: Too Much Is Never Enough
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM