Michael Stipe Is 80% Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 08 2011 12:55 PM ET
R.E.M. vocalist Michael Stipe says he's 80% gay and definitely prefers men to women, in a new interview with the Observer.
"On a sliding scale of sexuality I'd place myself around 80-20, but I definitely prefer men to women," the 51-year-old musician says. "I had sex with, and enjoyed sex with, women until I met someone that I fell in love with, and who is now my boyfriend. That's the only real news in the last 12 years, but when it's a slow news day I get dragged out of some closet again."
Stipe also reveals that he prefers to identify as "queer" rather than gay.
"I never identified with gay, that's all. I will always honor anyone who had to make different choices, then stand by them, and I would hope that honor would extend to me and my choices as well. I'm talking about how one chooses to define oneself, the community within which one feels comfortable. That's what it's about, really. It's the 21st century," he says. "A lot of younger people have a much more it-is-what-it-is approach to sexuality. The black and white binary approach just does not work. So you find the terms that make you most comfortable."
Stipe currently lives with his partner, Thomas Dozol, an art photographer, in New York.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 25 min 38 sec ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM