Hitting the Highway
BY Marchae Grair
July 12 2010 5:00 PM ET
Lanier Lobdell was left debilitated with rheumatoid arthritis for eight years until she was finally prescribed the right medicine to alleviate the pain. Before a prescription could be written, she could barely move comfortably, let alone hop back on her beloved motorcycle. She still has difficulty walking for long periods of time, but she is taking on the open road with a month-long trip across the country she calls the "Going the Extra Mile Tour" to bring awareness to her condition.
Lobdell, a Eugene, Ore. resident, started her tour Friday, and will visit multiple cities to spread awareness about the effects of he
RA is distinguished from other forms of arthritis by rheumatoid nodules, or bumps, which form under the skin, causing excruciating pain and disfigurement. In Lobdell's case, she is affected in her hands and joints.
"It’s a chronic pain autoimmune disease." said Lobdell, who has had to adjust the handlebars on her motorcycle to accommodate her hands. "It can make you crippled. If I wasn’t on the meds I was on, I’d be very close to being in a wheelchair."
Although the condition can have crippling effects, new medicine makes it easier for people with rheumatoid arthritis to function. Lobdell's purpose is to spread the word on the medication to those who may be unaware of the strides in treatment possibilities.
The motorcycle tour started at The Green Olive, a restaurant in Eugene owned by Lobdell's partner of 20 years, with whom she has two daughters.
"I have incredible support from everyone involved — friends and family" Lobdell said.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Op-ed: When Is the Right Time to Tell Your HIV Status on a Date?
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM