Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Bob Paris, Rod Jackson
Issue 546, March 13, 1990
Professional bodybuilder Paris revealed he’s gay during an interview with Ironman magazine in 1989. The two had a commitment ceremony the same year and frequently lectured about LGBT issues. The couple eventually broke up in 1996.
“The reason Bob and I can get through so much prejudice and hate is because when people come up to us and say, ‘Is this your friend?’ we say ‘No, this is my spouse. This is my husband.’ We look them in the eye, and they always respect us. They’ve never had a gay person with that much self-respect say that to them.”
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'