Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
Bob Paris, Rod Jackson
Issue 546, March 13, 1990
Professional bodybuilder Paris revealed he’s gay during an interview with Ironman magazine in 1989. The two had a commitment ceremony the same year and frequently lectured about LGBT issues. The couple eventually broke up in 1996.
“The reason Bob and I can get through so much prejudice and hate is because when people come up to us and say, ‘Is this your friend?’ we say ‘No, this is my spouse. This is my husband.’ We look them in the eye, and they always respect us. They’ve never had a gay person with that much self-respect say that to them.”
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View