Casey Wilson: Penny For Your Thoughts
BY Brandon Voss
October 15 2012 4:00 AM ET
Wilson and June Diane Raphael filming Ass Backwards
You appeared in one of the rotating casts of Nora and Delia Ephron’s Off-Broadway play Love, Loss and What I Wore. Were you one of the actresses assigned to perform the lesbian wedding story?
Of course, yeah, and I did it with Miss Tracee Ellis Ross, which was amazing. I actually did the original reading of that play when they were looking for financing, so I got to meet [original cast member] Rosie O’Donnell, which was a huge moment for me. We had so much fun.
You also volunteered for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. What was that experience like?
It was surreal that they included me so much in the campaign. It just was two weeks in Indiana, but I got to travel with the Clintons and introduce them on the road. It was wild.
Do you feel a responsibility to use your celebrity to support political causes?
Well, part of me wonders if anyone really cares or if anyone’s going to change their vote because Scarlett Johansson’s at the DNC, but if people really are affected by stuff like that, then yeah, we should we standing up and supporting Obama, because it’s a close race.
Were you raised in a political household?
My mom was president of the Women’s Political Caucus, which worked to get women elected, so I’m very passionate about women in politics. My dad’s a Republican, so it was a very divided household — my mom, brother, and I against my dad. We still battle on some things, but my dad also supports gay marriage and is pro-choice, so he’s such a bleeding heart. My brother and I caught him crying the night Obama was elected.
Finally, tell me everything about your appearing opposite Barbra Streisand in the upcoming film The Guilt Trip.
I play a receptionist that Barbra Streisand’s character wants to set up Seth Rogen’s character with. It’s a very small part, but it was a dream to be on set with Barbra Streisand. She’s in beautiful control. I don’t mean she’s controlling, but she knows everything that’s going on and she’s so involved in such a graceful, beautiful way. I didn’t know what to expect, but she was so kind to me, so funny, and just on her shit like nobody’s business.
Who’s your Barbra — Yentl Barbra, The Mirror Has Two Faces Barbra…?
Meet the Fockers Barbra. No, it’s Funny Girl Barbra for sure. But I’m not going to lie, I love Prince of Tides Barbra too.
Happy Endings: The Complete Second Season is out Oct. 23 on DVD.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM