Casey Wilson: Penny For Your Thoughts
BY Brandon Voss
October 15 2012 3:00 AM ET
Wilson and June Diane Raphael filming Ass Backwards
You appeared in one of the rotating casts of Nora and Delia Ephron’s Off-Broadway play Love, Loss and What I Wore. Were you one of the actresses assigned to perform the lesbian wedding story?
Of course, yeah, and I did it with Miss Tracee Ellis Ross, which was amazing. I actually did the original reading of that play when they were looking for financing, so I got to meet [original cast member] Rosie O’Donnell, which was a huge moment for me. We had so much fun.
You also volunteered for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. What was that experience like?
It was surreal that they included me so much in the campaign. It just was two weeks in Indiana, but I got to travel with the Clintons and introduce them on the road. It was wild.
Do you feel a responsibility to use your celebrity to support political causes?
Well, part of me wonders if anyone really cares or if anyone’s going to change their vote because Scarlett Johansson’s at the DNC, but if people really are affected by stuff like that, then yeah, we should we standing up and supporting Obama, because it’s a close race.
Were you raised in a political household?
My mom was president of the Women’s Political Caucus, which worked to get women elected, so I’m very passionate about women in politics. My dad’s a Republican, so it was a very divided household — my mom, brother, and I against my dad. We still battle on some things, but my dad also supports gay marriage and is pro-choice, so he’s such a bleeding heart. My brother and I caught him crying the night Obama was elected.
Finally, tell me everything about your appearing opposite Barbra Streisand in the upcoming film The Guilt Trip.
I play a receptionist that Barbra Streisand’s character wants to set up Seth Rogen’s character with. It’s a very small part, but it was a dream to be on set with Barbra Streisand. She’s in beautiful control. I don’t mean she’s controlling, but she knows everything that’s going on and she’s so involved in such a graceful, beautiful way. I didn’t know what to expect, but she was so kind to me, so funny, and just on her shit like nobody’s business.
Who’s your Barbra — Yentl Barbra, The Mirror Has Two Faces Barbra…?
Meet the Fockers Barbra. No, it’s Funny Girl Barbra for sure. But I’m not going to lie, I love Prince of Tides Barbra too.
Happy Endings: The Complete Second Season is out Oct. 23 on DVD.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM