Reasons to Have Pride in 2012, Part 1
BY Advocate Contributors
May 15 2012 6:00 AM ET
Because there’s a 100% transgender, Jewish shtick-rock sensation
And it’s known as Schmekel. The group’s debut album has the energy of early queercore-punk bands like Pansy Division and Tribe 8, and The New York Times called the quartet groundbreaking. Schmekel is Yiddish for small penis; the little in-joke says a bit about how smart and sexy these guys are.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend