"DADT" Linked to Poor Performance
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2009 11:00 PM ET
"There doesn't even have to be a serious, formal conversation," said Melissa Ferguson, a psychology professor at Cornell and the study's second author.
In explaining the study's findings, the authors suggested thinking of the mind as a battery. Concealing one's sexual orientation requires monitoring one's actions and social environment, tasks that draw on limited mental resources. After the conversation, participants' "batteries" are lower, causing them to perform worse on an array of tasks.
After a while the effect disappears, though researchers have not determined how long it lasts.
The fact that physical endurance is affected might seem strange, but Critcher explained that physical tasks are mental too.
"After a period of exercise, your body is telling you to stop and you override this," he said.
Critcher and Ferguson stressed that this effect is not about "mental anguish" caused by concealing one's sexual orientation. Even participants who reported they were not fatigued or upset by the conversation still demonstrated the effect.
"It's nothing about participants reporting distress," Ferguson said. "It's about their actual competence."
The study also suggests that the experience of hiding one's sexual identity did not significantly improve performance, though more research needs to be done. Previous work has shown that gays and lesbians who work under "don't ask, don't tell" may fail to receive adequate medical or psychological care for fear of revealing their sexual orientation, but this study is the first to draw a direct link between the policy and performance on tasks that are relevant to military service.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 10 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 1 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM