Books for Young LGBT Folks and Anyone Who Wants to Understand Them
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 5:00 AM ET UPDATED: September 24 2014 2:24 PM ET
We the Animals by Justin Torres (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, $12.95)
Now available in paperback, this acclaimed best seller illustrates the brutal love that connects a family that encompasses a white mother, a Puerto Rican father, and three brothers. Gay author Justin Torres, who had a difficult childhood, takes elements from his own life and portrays them in his novel. From the intense unity of the narrator’s family to the escalating feelings of estrangement, this is a powerful story about a child’s transition into an adult. This beautifully written novel will enchant a wide range of readers.
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- WATCH: The Weirdest Antigay Marriage Arguments Before the Supreme Court
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Op-ed: New Jersey's Most Antigay Teacher Shouldn't Have Her Job
- Lack of Competent Providers Leaves Many LGBTs Uninsured & Untreated