Books for Young LGBT Folks and Anyone Who Wants to Understand Them
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 5:00 AM ET UPDATED: September 24 2014 2:24 PM ET
We the Animals by Justin Torres (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, $12.95)
Now available in paperback, this acclaimed best seller illustrates the brutal love that connects a family that encompasses a white mother, a Puerto Rican father, and three brothers. Gay author Justin Torres, who had a difficult childhood, takes elements from his own life and portrays them in his novel. From the intense unity of the narrator’s family to the escalating feelings of estrangement, this is a powerful story about a child’s transition into an adult. This beautifully written novel will enchant a wide range of readers.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- WATCH: The Moment Ireland Said 'Yes' to Marriage Equality
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'