Books for Young LGBT Folks and Anyone Who Wants to Understand Them
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 5:00 AM ET UPDATED: September 24 2014 2:24 PM ET
We the Animals by Justin Torres (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, $12.95)
Now available in paperback, this acclaimed best seller illustrates the brutal love that connects a family that encompasses a white mother, a Puerto Rican father, and three brothers. Gay author Justin Torres, who had a difficult childhood, takes elements from his own life and portrays them in his novel. From the intense unity of the narrator’s family to the escalating feelings of estrangement, this is a powerful story about a child’s transition into an adult. This beautifully written novel will enchant a wide range of readers.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- Op-ed: How the Voices of Children Have Helped Turn the Tide on Marriage Equality
- Same-Sex Couple's Kiss Sparks U.K. Bus Driver's Antigay Rant
- Michael Sam, Cowboys Welcome Lull in Media Attention