Why ParaNorman Featured the First Gay Character in an Animated Film
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 29 2012 7:00 AM ET
Although with stop-motion animation, it seems like it’s much more work.
Fell: I don’t think it is. It’s a different kind of work in many ways. Both our medium and CG animation take about the same amount of time. We do get some things for free that CG really struggles to do. We build our costumes and our puppets and our sets, and we put normal real light on them, and we film them with decent but not super-expensive cameras. We have this amazing effect of real photography. And it’s something that CG movies spend gazillion of dollars trying to emulate.
Butler: I think also, when you look at the production of a CG movie, you’re going to see rooms full of people sitting at computer screens. When you look at the process that we’re involved with, we’ve got a warehouse full of craftspeople and artists and artisans who are building things with their hands. It’s like a flurry of activity — it’s like Santa’s Workshop. I think that’s what makes it look like it’s so much more labor intensive. But in fact, all these things are not easy. Any animated movie takes a huge amount of work and time.
With all that kind of craftsmanship that goes into this kind of film, does that mean as directors, you get your hands a little more involved in things like costume design?
Butler: Yeah, you’re literally in the film. Everyday, you walk around, and you’re inside the movie. You look to your left there’s the next set being painted and you look to your right, there’s a bunch of wigs being developed for a new character, so you’re completely immersed in its.
Fell: There’s something liberating as a director to actually point at an object you’re talking about, rather than just pointing the finger at a screen.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM