And the Awards Go To...
BY Advocate Contributors
February 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
Director of Tomboy
French lesbian screenwriter and director Céline Sciamma teased out one of the year's most evocative performances from a young actress, much as she did with her previous film, Water Lilies. In Tomboy, Zoé Héran plays Laure, a 10-year-old who moves to a new neighborhood and introduces herself to the local kids as Michaël, and spends the summer as a boy. It's a brilliant portrayal of gender ambivalence, and Héran's exuberant swagger as she's accepted as a boy — and later develops a crush on a girl — is magnificent. "It's such a great movie," says author and filmmaker Jenni Olson. "I feel like it manages to speak simultaneously to lesbian and trans viewers in a really special way."
That indeed is Sciamma's gift with Tomboy — that she can explore the divide between gender and sex, the question of nature versus nurture, and what Sciamma calls "the sensuality of childhood." The film, its director, and its star have already won a slew of awards on the festival circuit, including the Jury Prize at the 2011 Teddy Awards, which honor films with LGBT themes, at the Berlin International Film Festival.
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 26 min 49 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 40 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 1 hour 59 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2 hours 35 min ago
- Transgender How the Pacific Justice Institute Plans to Keep Demonizing Trans Kids 2 hours 45 min ago