Kit Yan: I Advocate...
BY Advocate Contributors
March 13 2012 2:00 AM ET
...National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
In my poetry I often tell deep and personal stories about being queer, trans, and Asian-American, and I am inspired by and gather strength from those in my community. Recently I had the honor and pleasure of serving on the board of NQAPIA, a federation of LGBTQ Asian-American, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander organizations. NQAPIA seeks to build the capacity of local LGBTQ Asian-American and Pacific Islander organizations, invigorate grassroots organizing, develop leadership, and challenge homophobia, racism, and anti-immigrant bias. When I was first growing into an understanding of myself as a queer and Asian young person, I would go to Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance meetings and events in Boston, which helped me find a community that I felt comfortable in. Now that group and many others around the country receive support and the ability to connect with each other through NQAPIA's conferences, newsletters, and national organizing. NQAPIA.org
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- WATCH: Kim Kardashian Says Family in Therapy, Totally Supportive