Hot Sheet: Top Gun Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 06 2014 7:38 PM ET
1. TV: The Tony Awards
The Oscar ceremony has been called the gay Super Bowl, but there’s a case to be made for the Tony Awards as well. Neil Patrick Harris isn’t the host this year, but we can count on the hunky, multitalented, and gay-friendly Hugh Jackman to do a great job in that role. NPH will, however, perform with his costars from Hedwig and the Angry Inch; it’s nominated for best musical revival, and he’s up for best lead actor in a musical. Other expected highlights: Alan Cumming reprises his role as the Emcee in a number from Cabaret; the cast of Wicked celebrates the show’s 10th anniversary; Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, and Fantasia perform with the cast of After Midnight; and Idina Menzel does a song from the new musical If/Then. (We bet Jackman gets her name right.) Terrence McNally’s Mothers and Sons and Harvey Fierstein’s Casa Valentina are both up for Best Play, Cherry Jones is nominated for her performance in The Glass Menagerie, Stephen Fry is a contender for Twelfth Night … well, you get the idea. Tune in to the festivities from the Gay White Way Sunday at 8 p.m./7 p.m. Central on CBS. – Trudy Ring
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- WATCH: Is CNN Coverage of Virginia Gunman Homophobic?
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?