Got a Buck? Help an Artist
BY Michelle Garcia
July 15 2011 12:25 PM ET
For an indie film producer, photographer, or novelist, every little bit can help a project turn from a simple dream into reality. And really, more images of LGBT life couldn't hurt. Kickstarter and Indie Gogo are two major outfits that are helping artists get funding for their projects with the help of donors through the magic of the internet. The artists set up a page to pitch their idea to the public. Supporters can then give a donation for as little as $1 in some cases. They then have a certain number of days to reach a goal amount. If you use Kickstarter and you don't meet the goal in 90 days, you get none of the cash. On Indiegogo, you keep your earnings no matter what.
Recent successes include the popular I'm From Driftwood series, and recent Outfest winner Wise Kids.
On the following pages feature interesting projects that we suspect you may like. Feel free to share your own Kickstarter or Indiegogo projects below:
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 1 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 22 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 30 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 38 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 41 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 49 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 35 min ago