Got a Buck? Help an Artist
BY Michelle Garcia
July 15 2011 1:25 PM ET
For an indie film producer, photographer, or novelist, every little bit can help a project turn from a simple dream into reality. And really, more images of LGBT life couldn't hurt. Kickstarter and Indie Gogo are two major outfits that are helping artists get funding for their projects with the help of donors through the magic of the internet. The artists set up a page to pitch their idea to the public. Supporters can then give a donation for as little as $1 in some cases. They then have a certain number of days to reach a goal amount. If you use Kickstarter and you don't meet the goal in 90 days, you get none of the cash. On Indiegogo, you keep your earnings no matter what.
Recent successes include the popular I'm From Driftwood series, and recent Outfest winner Wise Kids.
On the following pages feature interesting projects that we suspect you may like. Feel free to share your own Kickstarter or Indiegogo projects below:
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV (Video)
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- An Open Letter from a Transgender Rabbi to Trans Teens Everywhere