Got a Buck? Help an Artist
BY Michelle Garcia
July 15 2011 1:25 PM ET
The Goal: $5,000
Cool Perk for Contributions: Those who pledge $25 receive a signed 4"x6" photo from the project.
Photographer Ekkarat Punyatara is looking to dispel myths and fantasies of what it means to be a "ladyboy" in Thailand.
The donations will help Punyatara travel from New York to Thailand to capture more images of ladyboys and beauty contests, a developing phenomenon in which ladyboys in the northern Thailand try to participate in as many beauty contests as they can with hopes that they'll win a monetary award or plastic surgery.
Punyatara's goal is to have his photos exhibited in shows and in publications.
Watch the pitch below, and visit their Kickstarter page here.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'