Hollywood and (Sherry) Vine
BY Advocate Contributors
April 29 2010 1:30 PM ET
Not quite. At first my name was just Sherry. I thought it sounded like I might be that trashy girl from the wrong side of the tracks. A little later a friend called me when I was still living in L.A. and said I just had to go over to Vine Street to check out an old crumbling building called the Sherry. It was a crack den! Then it just all made sense, you know, as homage to the famous intersection of Hollywood and Vine. Sherry Vine. Sometimes I wish my name were sillier, though, like Hedda Lettuce or Vaginal Davis. I mean, with a name like Sherry Vine, I could be any woman on the street, right?
One thing in particular a lot of folks might not know about you is that you actually sing at your shows. You don’t lip-synch.
That’s correct. I sing my numbers. I’m aware I may not have the greatest voice in the world, but Sherry sure can sell a song!
Who inspires your look?
Well, I have modeled myself after Barbie, in a way. I mean, I’m hooker Barbie. In terms of my costumes, I have a team of very talented designers that make my clothes. For the video parody of “Telephone,” one of my designers, Matt Camp, made me the incredible V-line jacket you see in the beginning just by sizing me up — no fitting. That’s talent. I owe a lot to the team that helps me make my videos and clothes. Thanks, guys!
Speaking of which, your video parodies of Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” and “Telephone” have garnered quite a bit of attention lately. Is Sherry now in the parody business?
Although I’ve been doing funny versions of songs for a while, I’m not in the parody business. I love and respect Lady Gaga. She is a genius and has completely changed what it means to be a pop star. I mean, she’s fucking talented and has changed the whole game.
Have the video parodies brought you any unexpected attention?
Oddly enough, I get a lot of hate mail about the videos. People tell me that Lady Gaga is their idol and I’m somehow making fun of her. It’s not that at all — it’s a parody. After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? Besides the emotional reactions, I’ve been getting invitations to do shows in cities I haven’t appeared in before. For example, I’ve been asked to do a show in Raleigh, N.C. Sherry in Raleigh? Who would’ve thought?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 2 hours 8 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM