Rupert Everett Tries to Soften Offensive Gay Parent Remarks
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 19 2012 3:03 PM ET
Rupert Everett attempts to soften the controversy surrounding his speaking out against gay parenting by saying he realizes he's "very out of kilter with the rest of the world."
The 53-year-old openly gay actor has received continued scorn for remarks he made during an interview for the magazine section of London’s Sunday Times last weekend. “I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads,” he said.
While appearing on U.K. talk show This Morning, Everett stated that he was just expressing his opinion as an individual, joking that it's good news he isn't running for public office.
"I have lots of gay friends with children," he said. "I have lots of gay friends who have got married, I've been to lots of gay weddings, but I'm not big into marriage straight or gay to be honest."
Everett realizes that his opinion isn't a popular one and implies he didn't mean to start such a furor. "I'm very out of kilter with the rest of the world I realize," he said, adding, "But you know, I'm just an individual, I'm not trying to sell anything and I don't want to upset anyone and I'm not trying to have an official opinion about anything."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM