Rupert Everett Tries to Soften Offensive Gay Parent Remarks
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 19 2012 2:03 PM ET
Rupert Everett attempts to soften the controversy surrounding his speaking out against gay parenting by saying he realizes he's "very out of kilter with the rest of the world."
The 53-year-old openly gay actor has received continued scorn for remarks he made during an interview for the magazine section of London’s Sunday Times last weekend. “I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads,” he said.
While appearing on U.K. talk show This Morning, Everett stated that he was just expressing his opinion as an individual, joking that it's good news he isn't running for public office.
"I have lots of gay friends with children," he said. "I have lots of gay friends who have got married, I've been to lots of gay weddings, but I'm not big into marriage straight or gay to be honest."
Everett realizes that his opinion isn't a popular one and implies he didn't mean to start such a furor. "I'm very out of kilter with the rest of the world I realize," he said, adding, "But you know, I'm just an individual, I'm not trying to sell anything and I don't want to upset anyone and I'm not trying to have an official opinion about anything."
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 8 min 12 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 17 min 29 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 22 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 15 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM