PHOTOS: LGBT Issues Are Global Issues
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 24 2013 6:00 AM ET
LGBT and human rights activists chant slogans during antigovernment protests on Istiklal Street, the main shopping corridor on Sunday in Istanbul. The protest began in late May over the Gezi Park redevelopment project but swiftly turned into a protest and street party aimed at Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and what demonstratord call his increasingly authoritarian rule. The protest has spread to dozens of cities in Turkey, in secular anger against Erdogan and his Islam-rooted Justice and Development Party.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong