Clementine Sets the Record "Straight"
BY Michael Fairman
March 30 2009 11:00 PM ET
But, can you understand how some people may have been
confused when in a magazine piece you are quoted like that?
There are people who get it, and get what my original meaning
was. Just as I was talking about storylines being a non-issue
The L Word
; it should just be these people are gay and it's part of life.
I think with that article, and what came across as ambiguity,
was actually my attempt at making it a non-issue. Look, I am
gay, and I just wanted there not to be this big emphasis on
What about the reported, "fling?"
I would never!
Any of your
co-stars weigh in on your new soap role?
I talk to Kate Moening all the time, and she was the first
person I told. She told me congratulations.
Growing up in show business, do you think it gave you a
different perspective on life?
I am one of those people who are really lucky. I have no shame
about that at all, and I had a really great time. Yes, my mom
is an actress and I grew up in Los Angeles. There are a lot of
things I did that most of the people don't get to see and
people to meet, but at the same time, I was born in Memphis,
Tennessee. My other side of the family is very Irish-Catholic.
My father is a bartender, and my step-mom is a nurse. For me, I
grew up in the best of both worlds, with a sense of value and a
sense of being grounded, as well as traveling all over the
world and doing incredible things.
Proposition 8 has been such a hot button since the election
in November. Do you think there is a message that is missing to
the culture of how gay relationships are portrayed in the media
that could change the mainstream perception of equality for
We have all heard it, where people have coined the phrase,
"straight-marriage", and that is a big thing for me. It's
like, "Why is it different? Get over it." If you don't want
to have a gay marriage, don't have one. Don't marry someone of
the same sex, but let me do it if I want to! Ellen and Portia
became poster children for gay marriage because we don't have a
lot of people that are representing this. There are still those
walls, and there are those people who say, "Hide who you are.
Be careful. Don't be too gay." I think a lot of that, and the
media feeding into that, is part of the reason that Prop. 8
In closing, on Y&R what can we look forward to from
Two teases come to mind: Billy or Chloe, which one does she
choose? Will Mac stay in Genoa City, or does she go? Stay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 5 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 13 min 59 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus 30 min 31 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 30 min 40 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 1 hour 12 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM