Clementine Sets the Record "Straight"
BY Michael Fairman
March 31 2009 12:00 AM ET
But, can you understand how some people may have been
confused when in a magazine piece you are quoted like that?
There are people who get it, and get what my original meaning
was. Just as I was talking about storylines being a non-issue
The L Word
; it should just be these people are gay and it's part of life.
I think with that article, and what came across as ambiguity,
was actually my attempt at making it a non-issue. Look, I am
gay, and I just wanted there not to be this big emphasis on
What about the reported, "fling?"
I would never!
Any of your
co-stars weigh in on your new soap role?
I talk to Kate Moening all the time, and she was the first
person I told. She told me congratulations.
Growing up in show business, do you think it gave you a
different perspective on life?
I am one of those people who are really lucky. I have no shame
about that at all, and I had a really great time. Yes, my mom
is an actress and I grew up in Los Angeles. There are a lot of
things I did that most of the people don't get to see and
people to meet, but at the same time, I was born in Memphis,
Tennessee. My other side of the family is very Irish-Catholic.
My father is a bartender, and my step-mom is a nurse. For me, I
grew up in the best of both worlds, with a sense of value and a
sense of being grounded, as well as traveling all over the
world and doing incredible things.
Proposition 8 has been such a hot button since the election
in November. Do you think there is a message that is missing to
the culture of how gay relationships are portrayed in the media
that could change the mainstream perception of equality for
We have all heard it, where people have coined the phrase,
"straight-marriage", and that is a big thing for me. It's
like, "Why is it different? Get over it." If you don't want
to have a gay marriage, don't have one. Don't marry someone of
the same sex, but let me do it if I want to! Ellen and Portia
became poster children for gay marriage because we don't have a
lot of people that are representing this. There are still those
walls, and there are those people who say, "Hide who you are.
Be careful. Don't be too gay." I think a lot of that, and the
media feeding into that, is part of the reason that Prop. 8
In closing, on Y&R what can we look forward to from
Two teases come to mind: Billy or Chloe, which one does she
choose? Will Mac stay in Genoa City, or does she go? Stay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- A Letter to My Partners
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 7 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 1 hour 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 2 hours 39 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 52 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 5:56 PM