BY Jason Lamphier
September 10 2009 5:20 AM ET
Stick-thin quipster Bethenny Frankel was the perpetual single gal on The Real Housewives of New York City, but now all that has changed. After hearing recent news that she may star in her own reality series, Skinny & the City, which will follow her plans to marry her fiancé, Jason Hoppy, we decided to get the scoop. From behind the scenes of this month’s Advocate cover story, the high-strung chef dishes on her new beau, “pet gays,” and her planned threesome with Atlanta Housewife Kim Zolciak and Big Poppa.
Advocate.com: You usually have multiple projects. What are you up to now?
Bethenny Frankel: I’ve just launched the Skinnygirl Margarita. That’s really exciting -- it’s going in stores all over the country. I just finished my book tour for Naturally Thin, which was exhausting. I had no idea what it was like to write a book.
Tell us about the book.
It’s called Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself From a Lifetime of Dieting. Or cross out the "Girl" and make it "Unleash Your SkinnyGay." It’s like a toolbox. It’s 10 rules, and some people need the screwdriver, some people need the hammer. “Taste everything, eat nothing” is the rule. If you’re at a buffet or holiday party, you wanna have a little bit of everything. People’s lives are not cookie cutter; diets are cookie cutter. The book is not cookie cutter, which is why it is changing people’s lives. People are losing 50, 60, 70 pounds in their fourth or fifth months. It’s about turning “food noise” into a “food voice.” People have a terrible relationship with food, and it’s something we have to deal with. I used to be 20 pounds heavier and completely obsessed with food, exercise, and dieting. I had a lot of food noise.
Are you seeing anyone?
Yes, I have a serious boyfriend, and I’m in love. It developed about eight months ago. NeNe came into town for a party I had for Naturally Thin, and she was going out to dinner with Andy Cohen, so she left me to babysit her two friends. I was newly single but needed to act cool and like I knew what was going on, so I took them to a fancy nightclub. I ended up meeting my boyfriend, Jason. Andy knows him, NeNe met him, and he’ll be on the next season. It’s fantastic. He’s in pharmaceutical sales.
How are you doing with fellow Housewife Kelly Bensimon?
[Sarcastically] You know, we’re in love. No, there’s no doing with Kelly. The only time I ever spent with her in my life was what you saw on television in that eight-minute, unedited scene and a couple of other charming, warm, and fuzzy snippets. That’s our relationship. There won’t be any big make-up scenes. We’re frenemies, like Paris and Nicole. We’re gonna stage some mud-wrestling match so that I can at least make some cash of how much I hate her guts.
Are you following The Real Housewives of Atlanta?
What are you talking about? I want to move to Atlanta. I’m telling Jason we need to move there and be on the cast.
Read more with the housewives and Bravo's Andy Cohen:
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Virginia Bars Married Same-Sex Couples From Filing Taxes Jointly
- Entertainment News Knockout Game: Don Lemon Manhandled By Black Belt Rabbi on CNN 27 min 27 sec ago
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 46 min 56 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 58 min 54 sec ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 1 hour 25 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM