Heather Morris: It’s Brittany, Gleeks!
BY Brandon Voss
April 27 2010 6:25 PM ET
Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks? Did you also know that Heather Morris, the 23-year-old blonde who plays dimwitted high school cheerleader and glee clubber Brittany on Fox’s Glee, used to be a backup dancer for Beyoncé? As she prepares to embark on the Glee Live! In Concert! tour — which starts May 18 in Phoenix before hitting Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York City — Morris ponders those questions and more as she shares behind-the-scenes scoop on Brittany’s most memorably random moments (like that Brittany-Santana sex subplot!) and her good chance of getting promoted from recurring to regular cast member.
The Advocate: You get some of the best lines on the show. If I didn’t know he was gay, I’d totally suspect you were sleeping with cocreator Ryan Murphy.
Heather Morris: [Laughs] That’s amazing, and I’d probably say the same thing. The things they write to come out of my mouth are so simple but so brilliant. I have a lot of fun with it, and it’s so easy to do because I can just stare off and go with it.
What’s Ryan like to work with?
I was actually talking with him about this yesterday. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 14, so a lot of these guys, especially Ryan, take such good care of me. Like, Ryan will take me out shopping to pick out dresses for some award shows. He’s probably the kindest person in the entire world, but in a split second he can be the funniest, most outrageous guy in the world. He’s monumental.
Speaking of great lines, Brittany recently asked Santana, “Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?” — which might be the most brilliant thing she’s said so far.
When I meet new people that’s the first thing they say to me now. They’ll be like, “Wait, I know I don’t really know you, but did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?” I’ll play along, like, “Oh, my God, are you serious? I’ve never heard that before.”
That line should be on a T-shirt.
I know. You know, they do have “I Bet the Duck’s in the Hat” T-shirts — from the episode where Brittany thought a ballad was a male duck? My mom called me and was like, “I just bought some ‘I Bet the Duck’s in the Hat’ T-shirts and I’m wearing one right now!” It was so cute.
Are they all scripted, or have any of Brittany’s one-liners been your idea?
A couple of them. Like in the Madonna episode, when Jesse St. James came to join our club, when I asked, “Mr. Schu, is that your son?” I asked that in rehearsal as a joke, an improv moment, because they really look so much alike. Ryan started cracking up, and he was like, “That’s amazing. Keep that.” So yeah, that was my idea.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Joe Rogan Has Gay Locker Room Stalker
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM