BY Ross von Metzke
January 13 2009 1:00 AM ET
Bean and Hilty
kicked things off with a très gay performance of
the Barbra Streisand-Donna Summer duet “No More Tears
(Enough Is Enough)” before turning the mic over
to Briana Yacavone -- L.A. point person for putting
the extravaganza together – for her rendition of
“My (Guy) Gay.”
a WeHo staple, made it clear that she and her fellow
straight Wicked castmates stood together with the
mostly gay crowd in the quest for marriage equality.
She had help
bringing the event together -- it was truly a community
effort. L.A. club promoter Tom Whitman stepped in to pack
the Factory to the brim. His events throughout WeHo
have given L.A.’s gay scene a bit of a cultural
bent in the past several months, from his monthly male
burlesque revue to his weekly concert series at Here Lounge.
Mid show, Sykes
took to the stage with Noah’s Arc star Doug
Spearman -- both are Equality California board members -- to
thank the audience for coughing up cash for a good
cause. Spearman credited the passing of Prop. 8 with
galvanizing the gay community and prompting some
people to come out (cue one of many standing ovations
throughout the evening).
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- Op-ed: No, You Shouldn't Raise 150K for Homophobes
- Op-ed: Dear Straight People
- WATCH: A Young Seahawks Fan Finds Acceptance Through Family and Football