Rent, Take Two
BY Charles Romaine
February 17 2009 12:00 AM ET
Without naming any names, have you ever had any bad
No ... thankfully, no bad experiences. I will tell you being
thrown into an established cast is hard. When there are already
relationships formed, people used to working with someone else
... that can be challenging.
I've read that your father is a minister and Christian
composer. Has there been any conflict with your family or in
reconciling your Christian background with the fact that you
work with and have so many gay friends in your life?
No, no ... my father is a teacher. He was the worship leader at
our church when I was growing up. There has never been an issue
from my family. They love all of my friends and consider them
part of their own family. I have my own faith, but I am removed
from the church.
Like you, I grew up in Southern California. Growing up, most
of my musical theater references came from the MGM movies. It
opened down at the La Jolla Playhouse that I really had that
theatrical experience. I became a West Coast "Rent
Head" at 16. Is there one show that did that for you?
My grandmother used to take me to dinner theaters, but yeah, I
watched a lot of the movie musicals and was obsessed with them.
It wasn't until high school that I realized I wanted to do this
as a profession. When I was a senior in high school I was doing
a show at Disneyland. One day my friend played the
soundtrack for me, and that was it for me. It's what I wanted
to do. I mean, I can do legit and stuff ... but I really wanted
to just rock out!
Flora, the Red Menace
at Reprise last year. That score is so beautiful. Can
you tell me a little bit about that experience?
I had finished
and my agents were contacted about my doing the show. I went on
vacation, met with the director when I got back, and was
offered the part. I honestly had never heard of the show before
agreeing to do it, so I did my research and realized it was
written by Kander and Ebb and it was Liza's first Broadway
show. I was beginning to feel a lot of pressure from the whole
"Liza" thing, so I made it a point not to listen to the
soundtrack while learning it. The whole experience at Reprise
is intense. It's literally 10 days of rehearsals, two days of
tech, and that's it.
That's insane! How did
come into your life? Did you know that you would be part of the
closing cast going into the production?
I was asked to be in the closing cast of
They actually wanted me to go into the show earlier, but at
that point I was committed to
and wanted to honor that. I had wanted to do
for 12 years. I auditioned every time it came to L.A. I
auditioned for the movie. I had finally gotten to the point
where I was resigned to never doing it.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 23 min 6 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 30 min 40 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 11 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 8 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 22 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 54 min ago