Study: Breast self-exams are not effective
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 02 2002 11:00 PM ET
A decade-long study has thrown doubt onto the effectiveness of the most common breast cancer screening tool used by women around the world--breast self-examination. The study concludes that self-exams do not detect tumors early enough to reduce the risk of dying from breast cancer, and as a result, teaching women how to perform the self-exams may be a waste of time and money. The study, published in the October 2 edition of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, involved more than 266,000 women in Shanghai. It showed that women who performed self-exams did not have a lower incidence of death from breast cancer than women who did not perform the exams. The only positive results seen from the study were that women who performed self-exams found more benign lumps that required medical attention than women who did not conduct self-exams.
"In developing countries, where mammographic screening is not available, it would not seem to be a good use of the limited funds available for preventive services to promote the practice of BSE," the study says. An editorial accompanying the study in the journal recommends that U.S. doctors stop teaching women how to perform self-exams and instead devote their time and energy toward clinical exams.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 51 min 2 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 1 hour 4 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 2 hours 3 min ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 2 hours 23 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 53 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2 hours 59 min ago