Ruling: New York cops can't arrest needle-exchange participants
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
A federal judge ruled last week that New York City police officers cannot arrest a person in possession of syringes carrying drug residue if that person is a participant in a needle-exchange program, The New York Times reports. Although charges against those arrested for carrying drug paraphernalia are typically dismissed, New York police offices often "ignore the law" and arrest individuals carrying hypodermic needles, according to a lawsuit filed by the Urban Justice Center on behalf of a heroin user who was arrested in 1999 for carrying a needle obtained through a Manhattan needle-exchange program.
U.S. district judge Robert Sweet, in his ruling in the lawsuit, said that because the goal of needle-exchange programs is to encourage drug users to exchange used needles for clean ones, arresting them for carrying used needles is "bizarre" and "frustrates that goal." Daliah Heller, executive director of CitiWide Harm Reduction, which runs a needle-exchange program in the South Bronx, said that the ruling could increase participation in needle-exchange programs and help prevent the spread of HIV by removing the threat of arrest for those carrying used needles.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM