Caroline D'Amore: It Girl-Turned-DJ
BY Savas Abadsidis and Alexander Hatzidakis
November 30 2012 4:37 AM ET
At left: Caroline and sister Christie
You have a pretty significant relationship and fan base in the LGBT community. What does that stem from?
My sister and best friend, Christie, came out at age 15 to only me. Slumber parties weren't always what my dad thought. I always had to stick up for her within the family and outside of it, so I've always had an open heart from a very young age. My first club experience ever was Ultra Suede and I totally fell in love with the culture and scene. One of my first gigs as a singer was at Cherry Pop, and my sisters and I do the AIDS Walk every year in honor of my mother under the name Team Bonnie Major. These walks are always eye-openers because even in West Hollywood there are people spreading hate on the sidelines. I literally have to stop myself from kicking some ass when I see these hate-filled people with demeaning signs, as we are all trying to help a cause that's dear to our hearts. I now just feel sorry for them as they live these dark, shallow, ignorant lives. ... I will always stand up for what I believe in, and that's simply every human being on earth should be treated as equals.
How do you feel about the remarks that Paris Hilton recently made about gay men having AIDS? Did that upset you?
When I heard the news about Paris I was shocked and did not believe it. She has always known about how my mother passed and has always had many gay friends. When I heard the recording I was very disappointed. I know that she did not mean what she said and was just joking with some gay friends. However, I do think it's time to grow up and always think about what you say and how it can affect others. I'm always the first to snap at someone who makes a negative remark about anyone because of how they were born. Whether it’s skin color, race, sexuality, whatever it may be. I'm not perfect, and I've absolutely said things I regret, but let’s all take Paris's indecency as a lesson learned and be more thoughtful about the things we say.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1 hour 32 min ago
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM