BY Kerry Eleveld
December 16 2009 3:00 PM ET
The Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Wednesday passed a bill that will provided benefits to same-sex partners of federal workers by a vote of 8 to 1.
“I believe this legislation is really on the right side of history,” said committee chair and sponsor of the bill Sen. Joseph Lieberman, calling it an extension of “equal pay for equal work.”
GOP senator Susan Collins, a cosponsor of the Domestic Partner Benefits and Obligations Act, said the legislation would be a critical recruiting tool in the coming years. “The federal government faces a potential wave of departures in the next few years when approximately 60% of the federal workforce will be eligible for retirement,” she said.
The legislation is now eligible for a full Senate vote, but Lieberman said the bill would not move on the Senate floor until the Office of Personnel Management provided an estimate of savings offsets that would help pay for the measure initially. Lieberman noted the bill represented “a very small percentage” of overall costs for the federal workforce — coming in at an estimated $63 million a year on average over the next 10 years, while all civilian personnel costs for fiscal year 2009 totaled $227.6 billion.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 19 min 50 sec ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 22 min 21 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 34 min 55 sec ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 38 min 42 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 40 min 36 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 27 min ago
- Religion Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBTs 1 hour 42 min ago