State Department Condemns Malawi Conviction
BY Michelle Garcia
May 19 2010 6:25 PM ET
The State Department has issued an official statement on Tuesday's conviction of a gay couple in Malawi (pictured), who were deemed to have violated their nation's laws by celebrating their engagement to be married.
"The United States is deeply disappointed in [the] conviction of same-sex couple Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza in Malawi," said assistant secretary Phillip J. Crowley at a press briefing Wednesday. "We view the criminalization of sexual orientation and gender identity as a step backward in the protection of human rights in Malawi. The government of Malawi must respect the human rights of all of its citizens. The United States views the decriminalization of sexual orientation and gender identity as integral to the protection of human rights in Malawi and elsewhere in the world."
Chimbalanga, 20, and Monjeza, 26, were jailed in December for holding a public engagement ceremony. They were convicted of "unnatural acts and gross indecency" and face up to 14 years in prison. In January, Malawi information minister Leckford Mwanza Thoto said the couple had broken the law and that "as government, we cannot interfere in the court process." In response to outcry from Westerners about the case, he said, "We depend on our Western friends, yes, but we are a sovereign country."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 56 min 9 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 51 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 7 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 30 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM