Gay Bar Wants Hot, Straight Workers
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 27 2011 10:40 PM ET
The owners of a gay bar in Manchester, England have come under fire for posting a job listing seeking exclusively heterosexual employees.
The AXM Group is seeking "flyerers" for its new bar Downtown. According to PinkPaper.com, the ad, posted on the bar's Facebook page, read: "JOBS: Looking for flyerers/pr people for Downtown. Ideally 2 blokes/1 girl. Straight, Good looking, Outgoing etc. 20 hours per week, £6 an hour. Hours may vary. Interested?"
The ad was removed Monday following numerous complaints. On Tuesday, it was replaced with the following ad: "JOBS: Looking for flyerers/pr people for Downtown. 3 people required. Male and/or Female. Good looking, Outgoing etc. Applications open to everyone! Regardless of orientation, sexuality, race etc. To compliment the diverse team that we're proud to have across the whole of the AXM group. 20 hours per week, £6 an hour.... Hours may vary. Interested? Email [email protected] today!"
According to Pink Paper, Britain's Equality Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation — however, workplaces can actively shape the demographics of their staff if it's "genuine, determining and proportionate."
Read the rest of the story here.
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- WATCH: Ariz. High School Throws Out Ballots for Lesbian Homecoming Couple
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks
- Op-ed: What Barney Frank Still Gets Wrong on ENDA