Gay Bar Wants Hot, Straight Workers
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 27 2011 10:40 PM ET
The owners of a gay bar in Manchester, England have come under fire for posting a job listing seeking exclusively heterosexual employees.
The AXM Group is seeking "flyerers" for its new bar Downtown. According to PinkPaper.com, the ad, posted on the bar's Facebook page, read: "JOBS: Looking for flyerers/pr people for Downtown. Ideally 2 blokes/1 girl. Straight, Good looking, Outgoing etc. 20 hours per week, £6 an hour. Hours may vary. Interested?"
The ad was removed Monday following numerous complaints. On Tuesday, it was replaced with the following ad: "JOBS: Looking for flyerers/pr people for Downtown. 3 people required. Male and/or Female. Good looking, Outgoing etc. Applications open to everyone! Regardless of orientation, sexuality, race etc. To compliment the diverse team that we're proud to have across the whole of the AXM group. 20 hours per week, £6 an hour.... Hours may vary. Interested? Email [email protected] today!"
According to Pink Paper, Britain's Equality Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation — however, workplaces can actively shape the demographics of their staff if it's "genuine, determining and proportionate."
Read the rest of the story here.
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 25 min 32 sec ago
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 32 min 19 sec ago
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM