Gay Bar Wants Hot, Straight Workers
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 27 2011 10:40 PM ET
The owners of a gay bar in Manchester, England have come under fire for posting a job listing seeking exclusively heterosexual employees.
The AXM Group is seeking "flyerers" for its new bar Downtown. According to PinkPaper.com, the ad, posted on the bar's Facebook page, read: "JOBS: Looking for flyerers/pr people for Downtown. Ideally 2 blokes/1 girl. Straight, Good looking, Outgoing etc. 20 hours per week, £6 an hour. Hours may vary. Interested?"
The ad was removed Monday following numerous complaints. On Tuesday, it was replaced with the following ad: "JOBS: Looking for flyerers/pr people for Downtown. 3 people required. Male and/or Female. Good looking, Outgoing etc. Applications open to everyone! Regardless of orientation, sexuality, race etc. To compliment the diverse team that we're proud to have across the whole of the AXM group. 20 hours per week, £6 an hour.... Hours may vary. Interested? Email email@example.com today!"
According to Pink Paper, Britain's Equality Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation — however, workplaces can actively shape the demographics of their staff if it's "genuine, determining and proportionate."
Read the rest of the story here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 1 hour 30 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 1 hour 42 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 1 hour 55 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 2 hours 10 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 14 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 2 hours 19 min ago