WATCH: What Did George W. Bush Just Say About Gays?
BY Jase Peeples
July 09 2013 3:12 PM ET
When George W. Bush was recently asked by a Zambian journalist whether same-sex marriage was compatible with Christian values, the former U.S. president responded by paraphrasing a Bible verse.
“I shouldn't be taking a speck out of someone else's eye when I have a log in my own,” Bush replied.
His cryptic answer quickly grabbed headlines around the globe, as it seemed to suggest Bush’s views had evolved regarding LGBT civil rights since he endorsed a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality in 2004.
But the former president clarified the meaning behind his remark during a new interview with ABC News.
"I meant it’s very important for people not to be overly critical of someone else until you’ve examined your own heart,” Bush told ABC News' Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl.
When Karl asked if his response meant Bush's views on marriage equality had changed, he refused to answer the question. "I just don’t want to wade back into the debate," he said. "I’m out of politics. The only way I can really make news is either criticize the president, which I don’t want to do, criticize my own party, or weigh in on a controversial issue."
Watch the full ABC News interview in the video below.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 27 min 7 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM