LGBT Organization Plans Protest of Coca Cola Olympic Sponsorship
BY Jase Peeples
August 24 2013 12:37 PM ET
Queer Nation NY has planned a public demonstration to protest the Coca Cola Company’s sponsorship of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, according to the organization’s Facebook page.
The protest is scheduled to take place in New York City’s Times Square at 12 noon on Wednesday, August 28.
“The Coca Cola Company is sponsoring Russian government hate at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi,” reads a statement on the Queer Nation Facebook page. “In June, Russia enacted its anti-gay propaganda law that bans any pro-LGBT statement in public or private and on the Internet. The Russian government has made being out and proud a crime.Coke is a World Partner and a major sponsor of the Games. Join Queer Nation NY and RUSA LGBT.”
Queer Nation also points out on their Facebook page that the soft drink company was a sponsor of the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin while the Nazi party was in power and is promoting the hashtag #DumpCoke.
For more information visit queernationny.org.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Marriage Equality Supporter Featured in Mormon Anti-Marriage Equality Post
- Why Does Vogue Think Bisexuality Is a Phase?