LGBT Organization Plans Protest of Coca Cola Olympic Sponsorship
BY Jase Peeples
August 24 2013 12:37 PM ET
Queer Nation NY has planned a public demonstration to protest the Coca Cola Company’s sponsorship of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, according to the organization’s Facebook page.
The protest is scheduled to take place in New York City’s Times Square at 12 noon on Wednesday, August 28.
“The Coca Cola Company is sponsoring Russian government hate at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi,” reads a statement on the Queer Nation Facebook page. “In June, Russia enacted its anti-gay propaganda law that bans any pro-LGBT statement in public or private and on the Internet. The Russian government has made being out and proud a crime.Coke is a World Partner and a major sponsor of the Games. Join Queer Nation NY and RUSA LGBT.”
Queer Nation also points out on their Facebook page that the soft drink company was a sponsor of the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin while the Nazi party was in power and is promoting the hashtag #DumpCoke.
For more information visit queernationny.org.
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- The Art of the Hookup
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel