Senate Confirms Lesbian as Judge of U.S. Court of Federal Claims
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 17 2013 6:48 PM ET
An out lesbian has been confirmed as a judge of the United States Court of Federal Claims, according to the official website of the U.S. Senate.
The Senate confirmed Elaine Kaplan by a vote of 64-35 at 12:03 p.m. today. Kaplan, who currently is the acting director of the United States Office of Personnel Management, had been nominated for the position by President Barack Obama in March.
She will serve a 15-year term in this judgeship, where she will hear monetary claims against the federal government.
"These nominees have dedicated their careers to serving the public good," said Obama after nominating Kaplan as well as Patricia Campbell-Smith, reported the Human Rights Campaign. "And in so doing, they have displayed an unyielding commitment to justice and integrity. I am confident that they will serve the American people well from the Court of Federal Claims, and I am honored to nominate them today."
As OPM's director, she helped guide the process of extending marriage-related benefits to gay and lesbian federal employees and their spouses after the U.S. Supreme Court declared section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional. Prior to this position, she served as head of the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, an office she was appointed to by former President Bill Clinton in 1998.
The Brooklyn native graduated cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center in 1979, according to her OPM biography. She will assume the seat vacated by Judge Christine Odell Cook Miller, who retired from the court earlier this year.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 41 min 24 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 12 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 18 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 19 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 33 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 54 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM