Arsonist Sets Fire to Seattle Gay Club on New Year's Day
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 02 2014 3:44 PM ET
Just minutes after the patrons inside Seattle's gay nightclub Neighbours celebrated the arrival of 2014, someone tried to burn the venerable club to the ground, according to Seattle's KOMO News.
An as-yet unidentified arsonist poured gasoline on the club's carpeted steps and then set them on fire at approximately 12:15 a.m. New Year's Day, according to a statement posted to Neighbours Seattle's Facebook page.
Staff and patrons were able to quickly extinguish the flames and activate the sprinkler system, and the roughly 750 people inside were evacuated with no injuries, but there was an estimated $6,000 worth of damage to the club, according to Capitol Hill Seattle Blog.
Police are seeking a suspect in the arson attempt but have yet to make any arrests.
Citing the ongoing investigation, the statement from Neighbours does not provide additional details but does say the staff of the three-decades-old club is "thankful for the fact that no one was hurt, honored that so many of you have reached out with words of support since the incident, and happy for your continued patronage."
Watch KOMO's video report from New Year's Day below.
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM