Arsonist Sets Fire to Seattle Gay Club on New Year's Day
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 02 2014 4:44 PM ET
Just minutes after the patrons inside Seattle's gay nightclub Neighbours celebrated the arrival of 2014, someone tried to burn the venerable club to the ground, according to Seattle's KOMO News.
An as-yet unidentified arsonist poured gasoline on the club's carpeted steps and then set them on fire at approximately 12:15 a.m. New Year's Day, according to a statement posted to Neighbours Seattle's Facebook page.
Staff and patrons were able to quickly extinguish the flames and activate the sprinkler system, and the roughly 750 people inside were evacuated with no injuries, but there was an estimated $6,000 worth of damage to the club, according to Capitol Hill Seattle Blog.
Police are seeking a suspect in the arson attempt but have yet to make any arrests.
Citing the ongoing investigation, the statement from Neighbours does not provide additional details but does say the staff of the three-decades-old club is "thankful for the fact that no one was hurt, honored that so many of you have reached out with words of support since the incident, and happy for your continued patronage."
Watch KOMO's video report from New Year's Day below.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 17 min 25 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 26 min 11 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 32 min 53 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 47 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 52 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 53 min ago