Why Is the Best New Gay TV Show
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2012 5:00 AM ET
Since the duo — who never, of course, share screen time — film scenes back to back on the same stage, they share notes often and, teases Jones, “I get to tell him that I think his approach is ridiculous.”
“I think on a weekly basis, his interactions with his therapist tend to force him to question the reality of one side versus the other,” says creator and writer Kyle Killen. “I think he makes very … that he’s not particularly interested in that debate. He wants to live in both worlds as if they’re real, and he does his best to treat them that way, and we as writers do our best to force him to question that.”
Awake is produced by Howard Gordon (whose 2011 Showtime series, Homeland, was a bona fide smash) and features a handful of other talented actors (including Steve Harris and Wilmer Valderrama, who will surprise anyone expecting to see Fez from That ’70s Show). The only thing standing in the way of its becoming a hit is the audience perception it might be a bit too high-concept.
“[Marketing people] were talking about ‘How do we differentiate between the two worlds? Is there something we should do cleverly on the screen with different colors and different angles?’” says Isaacs. “And I played them … an iPhone clip of my 5-year-old daughter explaining the story to her friend in the park. So I think most people get it.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 10 min 43 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 19 min 19 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 1 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 41 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 47 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 44 min ago