BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2010 10:00 PM ET
Political Wives Support Equality
As political wives go, Cindy McCain (pictured) and Laura Bush have always seemed a bit inaccessible. Maybe because they weren’t fashion icons like Jackie Kennedy and Michelle Obama or intriguingly self-destructive like Mary Todd Lincoln and Betty Ford, the wives of U.S. senator John McCain and former president George W. Bush didn’t capture a large gay following. But when Mrs. McCain and Mrs. Bush declared themselves proud proponents of marriage equality this year, gays found a reason to be enamored. In January, Mrs. McCain posed for a photo in the No H8 campaign, which raises money for equal marriage rights and other gay causes. She then caused a stir in November when she appeared in a PSA for NoH8 condemning the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, only to tweet a day later: "I
fully support the NOH8 campaign and all it stands for and am proud to
be a part of it. But I stand by my husband's stance on DADT."
Ultimately, it was the even-tempered Laura Bush who m ade people sit up and pay attention when she declared on Larry King Live in May that committed gay couples “ought to have, I think, the same sort of rights that everyone has." When a Republican former first lady, so well liked and respected by middle America, endorses marriage equality, you know the national sentiment is evolving.
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM