Out100: The Activists Who Shaped 2013
BY Advocate Contributors
November 13 2013 9:00 AM ET
Advocate and Author
Photography by Danielle Levitt
After coming out as a transgender woman in a 2011 Marie Claire essay — her first act of trans advocacy — Mock launched #GirlsLikeUs, a wildly successful Twitter campaign that works to empower trans women. In June, she joined the Arcus Foundation’s board of directors and is currently touring the nation to talk about her experience and speak out against transphobia. Her memoir, Redefining Realness, will be published in February.
Photographed at Fast Ashley’s Studio in Brooklyn, N.Y., on October 2, 2013
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View