Out100: The Activists Who Shaped 2013
BY Advocate Contributors
November 13 2013 10:00 AM ET
Advocate and Author
Photography by Danielle Levitt
After coming out as a transgender woman in a 2011 Marie Claire essay — her first act of trans advocacy — Mock launched #GirlsLikeUs, a wildly successful Twitter campaign that works to empower trans women. In June, she joined the Arcus Foundation’s board of directors and is currently touring the nation to talk about her experience and speak out against transphobia. Her memoir, Redefining Realness, will be published in February.
Photographed at Fast Ashley’s Studio in Brooklyn, N.Y., on October 2, 2013
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- Six Stabbed at Jerusalem Pride March