Out100: The Activists Who Shaped 2013
BY Advocate Contributors
November 13 2013 10:00 AM ET
Advocate and Author
Photography by Danielle Levitt
After coming out as a transgender woman in a 2011 Marie Claire essay — her first act of trans advocacy — Mock launched #GirlsLikeUs, a wildly successful Twitter campaign that works to empower trans women. In June, she joined the Arcus Foundation’s board of directors and is currently touring the nation to talk about her experience and speak out against transphobia. Her memoir, Redefining Realness, will be published in February.
Photographed at Fast Ashley’s Studio in Brooklyn, N.Y., on October 2, 2013
- Larry King Is Confused By Anna Paquin's 'Non-Practicing' Bisexuality
- Tyler Oakley Could Be The First Gay Person You Ever Met
- The Peculiarity of Black Trans Male Privilege
- BSA: Gays Aren't Pedophiles, But They Still Can't Be Leaders
- WATCH: Australian Model Ruby Rose Comes Out as Gender Fluid
- Daddy, What Does 'Gay' Mean?