Notes From Outgames: The Soccer Player
BY Ross Forman
July 29 2009 12:00 AM ET
Heather Harrison, 36, played volleyball throughout her career at York University in Toronto, but now it's soccer in the local all-women's lesbian and lesbian-friendly league of about 220 people.
And it's soccer at Outgames too.
"It's been awesome, getting to play on a team with players from Russia and elsewhere around the world," said Harrison, the coordinator for health and fitness at Pickering University. "It's been very interesting just trying to communicate with my teammates
Advocate.com: What goes through your mind when you aren't involved in the action?Heather Harrison: I really get into the zone. If anything, I'm beating myself up for something I did in the past."
What do you eat at halftime of a game?I stop eating 90 minutes before a game. Maybe, if I'm dying during the first half, I will have something with caffeine.
What's your pre-game music-of-choice?Anything from the '80s.
Do you do a lot of trash-talking during games?Back home, yes, but really only if the other player is good. I think it helps my game.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Commentary Op-ed: No One Is Invincible 18 min 36 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down 18 min 59 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Everything You Need to Know About PrEP 22 min 46 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Transmit HIV Through Oral Sex? 34 min 32 sec ago
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 1 hour 18 min ago
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 1 hour 19 min ago
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 4:00 AM