Seattle Reign Is First Pro Female Team to Join You Can Play Project
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 01 2013 6:51 PM ET
Out olympic gold medalist Megan Rapinoe's new team is making waves as the first U.S. professional women's team to join the You Can Play Project, dedicated to fighting homophobia in sports.
The Seattle Reign — part of the newly formed eight-team National Women's Soccer League — will work with You Can Play to reach out to fans, players, and staff in providing education and media support to make professional sports more welcoming to LGBT athletes.
"I am excited that we are partnering with You Can Play and helping them take the steps that are needed to eradicate homophobia in professional sports,” said midfielder Jess Fishlock in a statement announcing the partnership. "It's something I support 100% and I am honored to play for the first professional women's team aligned with this cause."
While the Seattle Reign are the first professional women's team to join the You Can Play project, the campaign has already partnered with teams in the National Football League, National Hockey League, and Major League Soccer.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM