Artist Spotlight: Tomoaki Hata
BY Albert Smith
November 06 2010 4:00 AM ET
The Advocate:Why are you a photographer?
Tomoaki Hata: When I was a kid, the first thing I bought for myself from my savings was a tiny compact camera from Fuji. After that, I eventually found an old Nikon SLR camera that had been thrown away in some bushes [along with a Korean passport]. With this camera, I took pictures of my grandfather, who passed away two weeks later. It seems like I was destined to be a photographer.
What catches your eye?
I wonder if any drag queen that never catches people's eye would ever exist ...
How do you choose your subjects?
I really did not choose drag queens as subjects, they chose me. Since I had been hanging out in the Kyoto drag scene for a long time, they were comfortable with me and let me shoot portraits. Also, I think they were more open to being photographed because the drag performances were parties to benefit Japan's emerging HIV education programs.
How do you describe your work?
The drag scene in Japan is very much underground. Taking candid portraits of the performers in various stages of dress was a rare chance to share this underground scene and give publicity to the HIV education movement. No photos of this scene had ever been published outside of Japan.
What makes a good photograph to you?
To take a good photograph, I need to be a part of the event and dive into the environment. Sharing their experience of getting ready and performing, we're all having fun, and together we can capture that feeling on film.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Boogie, Jeff Burton, and Slava Mogutin. These artists can really capture the richness of the dark side of culture in the U.S.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM